Monday, November 9, 2009

Something I've been working on...

It's not quite finished, but it's been so long since we've posted anything that I figured I'd give you an update. Over at How About Orange last week, Jess posted about some tutorials for small, soft, and cute things and I was instantly enamored with the felt rabbit keychain. Obviously, I couldn't resist because it was handsewn and felt - 2 of my favorite things.

I didn't want to make a rabbit though, and I especially didn't want to make a keychain because I certainly don't need any more things to carry around. So I was thinking about what I could do and how I could warp the idea into something that I really wanted. Easily enough I decided that I wanted to make an elephant pillow/stuffed animal in the style of that felt rabbit.

First I traced a square outline on some gray felt to give me 6 squares (5 darker gray and 1 lighter gray for the stomach).










Then I cut out two small strips of dark gray felt and sewed them together, stuffed a little bit of filling inside, clip the ends to fray it, and sewed it onto the felt square that would make up the rear of the elephant.

Now I'm sewing all my squares together, but I still have to make the face, ears, and trunk.
Here's my progress thus far:


I'm hoping to finish this soon, within the next day or two, so I'll let you know how it goes. - Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment