Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Heirloom crafts

My Great-grandmother mastered the art of crocheting, unfortunately the past time stopped with her. Neither my mom nor my grandma learned from her*. Recently I have decided this is something I want to take up, but my great-grandmother has long since passed so I am on my own to learn how to crochet. I have bought a crochet hook, yarn and I have downloaded a very helpful and free! how-to manual online.

I have made a few practice attempts which are still not quite right. Although I think I have got the general stitching techniques down, I can’t seem to crochet a straight piece of fabric. Oops… Even my little practice squares seem to curve upwards. I am pretty sure this is due to not counting the number of stitches I made on the previous row and subsequently crocheting gradually shorter and shorter rows. But that is just my guess. So I venture on and will continue to practice until I figure it out. I find the challenge fun. I will keep you posted on my crocheting adventures….. In the mean time have a little chuckle at my blunders.

I think my husband said it best when he asked why I made such a small oven mitt and a one sided booty.

*Disclaimer: my mom did learn how to do one row of crochet but never learned how to turn the stitch and to create multiple rows, therefore she is no help to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment